Hopeful singles enter relationships with the desire to find a long-lasting partner, but that’s always easier said than done. Time and time again, calling it quits and jumping into a new relationship has proven to be easier than keeping a serious and long-lasting one. Relationships fail for many reasons, and finding out what they are can help you avoid and overcome them in the future. This blog explores the different reasons why it’s difficult for many people, especially high achievers to stay in long-term relationships, and how to improve relationship problems. We hope to help you improve your perception of relationships and relationship struggles so you too can build a strong and lasting foundation with the people you love.
Top 3 Most Common Relationship Problems
Many high achievers struggle with keeping long-lasting relationships. Here are the top 3 struggles they typically deal with:
- Lack of communication. Lack of communication is one of the most common reasons why relationships fail and why there are relationship problems. Perfectionism makes high achievers less attached to their feelings which makes it harder for them to communicate. Couples who lack communication may become emotionally distant, and it often results in misunderstandings, conflicts, and resentment.
- Having different expectations. A high achiever’s perfectionist mindset makes it hard for them to reach a compromise in the relationships they enter. Their idea of perfection makes it hard for them to compromise with their partners because they don’t want to be the ones that adjust their expectations, which can lead to relationship difficulties.
- Unresolved trauma from past relationships. Trauma can come in different forms like physical or emotional abuse, neglect, abandonment, or betrayal. Having experienced any of these in the past will affect how you handle your current one. Relationship problems and trauma that are left unresolved affect potentially good connections from the get-go.
What You Can Do to Succeed in Relationships
Everyone dreams to find their person, the one they can build a solid and long-lasting relationship with. From communication issues to compromise and trauma, relationship hurdles can be difficult to overcome when they arise. But, you always have the choice to improve yourself.
- Empathetic Communication. Communication can be developed when you become more empathetic toward the feelings of your partner rather than focusing on your own.
- Compromise. Differences in expectation can be resolved when there is compromise and understanding between both partners before they become relationship problems.
- Seek help. Unsolved trauma can be addressed with professional help so that it does not damage a potentially good relationship that you’re starting with a new partner.
Relationships not working? If you’re having trouble with any or all of the three, seek professional guidance. We’re here to help you resolve communication issues, compromise on differences, and uncover unhealthy patterns from trauma. Give us a call today, and let’s fix what’s not working for you so you can bounce back and become relationship-ready again.